Tuesday, January 29, 2008

POHA








During his bachelor life Sush used to cook breakfast every weekends and when he calls me on weekends I often ask him what he had for breakfast. Most of the time his answer was poha. I used to wonder what this poha was and was under the impression that it was something special and I never asked him what it was …
Months passed by and after our marriage one day he wanted to cook poha for me and I was hopefully waiting to taste this wonderful recipe. Finally poha was ready and when I tasted all my anticipation and imaginations crushed . It was the modified version of AVILU UPMAV my grandmother used to make !!!


Ingredients
Poha (Avil or Rice flakes) -250gms
Onion -2
Green chillies 4-5
Turmeric powder (a pinch)
Salt
Mustard seeds
Redchillies 3-4
peanuts 4-5 tablespoon
Curry leaves (few)
Preparation
In a colander take poha and soak poha in water . Drain the water completely.
In a pan sputter mustard seeds and add redchillies. Add chopped onions to this pan and saute till onions turn pink and then add chopped green chillies and curry leaves to it. Finally add soaked poha , turmeric powder and salt. Cover the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes.Turn off the fire and garnish with peanuts.

6 comments:

KF said...

I never tasted this..Ur picture are inviting me to try this..Picture is nice...

Vineetha Sush said...

kf...
thank u dear...picture edukan padichu varunu.

J said...

Avil upma is indeed caled poha in Mumbai :) You have nice recipes here!

Vineetha Sush said...

hi Jyothsna...
Thanks for visiting my blog.Now I know that in North India avilu upmav is called POHA.I call it avil upmav when I use brown avil and Poha when I use white one :)When making avil upmav I add grated coconut and avoid peanuts.

Prasukitchen.blogspot.com said...

nice pic ... first time here you have lovely blog with yummy recipes ..

Vineetha Sush said...

Hi parsu,
Thanks for visiting my blog and for ur sweet comment..