I remember eating these beauties from a restaurant called Mainland China in Pune. Nobody would think of making them at home if you have so many such Chinese eating outs around. But in London where we live we don't have good Chinese, so we have almost given up eating Chinese these days .
Recently my hubby who is a great sea food fan found a Korean shop nearby for buying fish and while exploring the shop, I found this cute bamboo steamer, which reminded me of the dumplings served in bamboo steamers in restaurants. I didn't even have an idea how to make dumplings when I picked the bamboo steamer, but while I was flipping the pages of my old recipe book (with cut outs from news papers and magazines and some recipes which I wrote down from TV shows ) I found a dumplings recipe. So with basic idea from the book I made my own dumplings ! They taste so delicious and I have been making them quite often but never got to click it , so this time I made it especially for clicking it. Here we get to buy ready made dumpling pastries in that Korean shop, they are rolled very thin in round shapes and makes my job easier, but this time I made everything from scratch , which is a bit time consuming but totally worth trying !
Plain flour - 1 cup
Warm water - as required
Boneless chicken - 100 gm
Cabbage - 1/2 cup ( finely shredded )
Carrot - 1/4 cup ( grated )
Beans - 1/4 cup (finely chopped )
Spring onions - 4 ( chop greens and whites separately )
Ginger - 1 tsp ( minced)
Garlic - 1 tsp (minced )
Soyasauce - 1 tbs
Sugar - 1 tsp
- In a bowl take plain flour, salt, oil and add warm water and make a smooth dough by kneading well .Cover the dough with a cling film and allow it to rest for 15 minutes.
- Cook boneless chicken adding salt, pepper and little water.Once cooked shred the chicken .
- In a big wok add oil and throw in whites of spring onion, saute till soft.
- Add ginger,garlic and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add shredded veggies, salt, pepper, Soya sauce, sugar and cook until the veggies are done.
- Finally add shredded chicken, greens of spring onion and turn off the flame.
- Meanwhile make balls out of the dough and roll it out as thinly as possible dusting with some flour.I used a bowl to cut out a perfect shape.
- Place the filling in the middle and fold it like the picture below.
- Steam the dumplings for 7 minutes.I steamed it in a bamboo steamer by sprinkling some flour on it.
- Serve the dumplings with sauce of your choice.I used sweet chilli dipping sauce.