Friday, April 5, 2013

Pepper Mutton


Pepper mutton is one such  recipe which never lets me down, especially because I use peppercorns grown back home in our backyard. I bring atleast 1/2 kilo of sundried peppercorns from  India every year  and freshly crush  it for pepper based recipes.
Atleast some of my FB friends knew that Nisha who blogs at Look who is cooking too came down to our place  during easter holidays and I prepared this for our dinner to go with Malabar chicken biriyani (recipe will follow soon ), since she wanted to know the recipe I am dedicating this post to her  :) The picture might not be a good looking one as it was shot just  before the sunset in a hurry but  this recipe is a keeper ! We had a great night that day. Do u want to see what she  brought for us that day  ? An  amazing tres leche cake, it was an  amazing dessert and nearly  half of the cake was gone  the same day and the rest we finished the next day. Little A who generally dont eat cold things also had  fair  share of the cake !




Ingredients
Mutton/ Lamb   - 500 gm
Onions - 2( large)
Tomato -2
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbs
Red chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
Pepper powder - 1 tbs
Coriander powder - 2 tbs
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
Whole garam masla
Cinnamon - 1 stick
Cardamom - 2 pods
Clove -3
Bay leaf -1
Star anise -1
Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Pepper corns
Curry leaves
Salt

Method
1.Marinate the mutton with red chilly powder,tumeric powder, coriander powder,cumin powder,pepper powder and half of the ginger garlic paste and keep aside for 1 hour.
2.Pressure cook the mutton for 5-10 whistles adding 1/2 cup of water until they are cooked.
3.In a saucepan take some oil , sputter cumin seeds and fennel seeds. Add the whole spices and stir for few seconds.
4.Add finely chopped onions and saute until it becomes brown in colour.
5.Add rest of the  ginger garlic paste and saute again until the raw smell goes. Add chopped tomatoes and saute until it is well cooked and mushy.
6.Add cooked mutton  cover  and cook  in a lowflame for a few minutes.
7.Finally add freshly crushed peppercorns, garam masala and curry leaves.To make the mutton  dry ,cook for few minutes uncoverd until the mutton  is well coated in the gravy.

14 comments:

Julie said...

looks mouthwatering,Vinee..am not a big fan of mutton but this looks divine:)

Shibi Thomas said...

I am not really a big fan of mutton, I think its the texture that makes me not like it. Since I don't like it that much, I don't buy them and hence my family is not a big fan of muttom either. But coming to your post, its always good to cook for friends. I kind of make the chicken and beef version of these. They are absolutely yummy with rice or chapathi.

meena said...

wow,craving for this.looks so yummy.

Chitz said...

Perfect platter.. Just feeling like grabbing some.. And a very good looking cake :) I am drooling now..

Manju @ Manjus Eating Delights said...

I like mutton, but rarely buy at home...will try this next time we buy some mutton...looks awesome! Bet u both had a great Easter dinner :-)

My Kitchen Antics said...

there it is..def making this with beef..i know it wont taste as awesome as yours but im giving it a shot anyways. Thanks a loooot for putting up the post vineee.. hugs :)

Suja Manoj said...

Love mutton and this is drool worthy dish,going to try this Vineetha.

runnergirlinthekitchen.blogspot.com said...

This is absolutely mouthwatering!

Rafeeda AR said...

amazingly mouthwatering mutton... i could just have it now... slupr!!!

Priya Suresh said...

Yummyilicious and fingerlicking pepper mutton, love to enjoy with a bowl of rice.Love to finish that beautiful cake..Glad u both had loads of fun together.

Mélange said...

Irresistible Vinnetha...I love pepper so much that I believe addition of the same in any meat can do the magic...Nice recipe !

LOTUS said...

looks yummy N delicious...My fav dish...Glad you follow my Blog which is recently started...suggestions are welcome!!!

Sona - quick picks/pick quicks said...

just luking at the dish makes me drool..love the dark brownish black colour. first time here..happy to follow ur space. do follow my space as well

Ethnic Food said...

Its palatable and yummy. thanks for sharing