Monday, April 29, 2013

Semiya payasam/ Vermicilli Kheer


Semiya payasam is my absolute favourite, it's one of the easiest and tastiest payasam among all, don't you think so? I don't  think anyone can screw this up, but my first attempt on making this was an absolute disaster, I was new to cooking and had gut feeling that it's so simple to make and  didn't even bother to ask my mum or browse online to check it, but my overconfidence came with a price. I had guests coming in and since I was in the beginners stage,  payasams were the only dessert I wanted to attempt but little did I know that roasting vermicilli is important so I ended up with a messy payasam. I don't even remember what kind of mess it was, but I remember one thing, I couldn't serve it to my guests and I didn't even have icecream in stock so S had to run quickly to the nearby shop for ice cream !



Ingredients
Vermicilli  - 1 cup
Milk -4-5 cups
Cardamom powder -1/4 tsp
Vanilla extract - 1/2 tsp
Sugar -1 cup
Ghee - 1 tbs
Sultanas -  1 tbs
Cashewnuts -1 tbs
Salt - pinch

Method
  • In a non stick pan roast broken Vermicilli till golden brown in colour.
  • Add 3 cups of milk to Vermicilli and cook for 10-12 mins,stirring occasionally to prevent burning .
  • Add sugar, rest of milk, cardamom powder and bring it to boil.
  • Finally add vanilla extract and turn off flame.
  • In another saucepan add a tbs of ghee and roast cashewnuts and sultanas until cashews brown a little bit and sultanas have puffed up.
  • Add this to the payasam.
Note
Paysasam tends to thicken as it cools down, add more warm/ boiled milk and give it stir if you like the payasam to be thin.Check the sugar if you add milk.




23 comments:

Unknown said...

oh this is my favorite payasam, infact only payasam i love... :-) looks yummy Vineetha

Sona - quick picks/pick quicks said...

simple and yummy payasam..Vineetha. nice presentaion as well.

Rafeeda AR said...

looks really yummy vineetha... like you, my first payasam attempt was also a disaster, i gave it with a spoon to HD so that he could break the semiya and eat it!! hehe...

saraniskitchen said...

yummy treat at any time...lovely click dear...

Vineetha Sush said...

thanks everyone
@rafeeda..you make me laugh all the time..i cant stop laughing :)

Aruna Manikandan said...

looks delicious :)

Hamaree Rasoi said...

It's the simplicity that attract me to this payasam

Merry Tummy said...

Very nice texture, this is on my list for a long time :)

meena said...

lovely presentation for the delicious payasam.

pepper bowl said...

Wow!! Semiya Payasam looks so yummy!! superb clicks Vinee!!

eshoboshoaahare.blogspot.in said...

Nice dessert...

divya said...

OMG! Looks inviting...

Shibi Thomas said...

Yumm...one of my favorite payasams...its from Vishu Sadhaya right? I still have to try your parippu payasam. The list is getting bigger and bigger by day...hope I can make it soon :)

Beena said...

Yummy payasam.

Mélange said...

Yummy Bowls vineetha..Divine..

Priya Suresh said...

Omg, payasam looks super thick,rich,creamy and droolworthy,Sis..Who can resist to it.

Manju @ Manjus Eating Delights said...

Man that looks good. Appu would have finished both those bowls if u let him...seriously. When we went to India last year, he literally survived on semiya payasam :-)

Sravs said...

Quiet tempting and super delicious payasam !!

Nilu A said...

This is one of my favorite payasams Vineetha.. Looks delicioius and inviting :-)

My Kitchen Antics said...

you know what its the only payasam i like and truth be told only when my mum makes it..she adds condensed milk to it and is super yum, which makes it impossible for me to like semiya payasam from elsewhere:)
i tried making it once when my brothers freinds came over..and gosh i decided that was the last time im making it..so time consuming!!

Vineetha Sush said...

Thanks a lot everyone :)
@shibhi..yes from vishu collections..still few more pending :)

Unknown said...

payasam looks super delicious and tempting me dear !!!

Shema George said...

We love semiya payasam...my daughter calls it nunu payasam...coz she thinks its made up of noodles...
Looks yummy!