Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Uzhunnu Vada / Medhu vada/ urad dal vada


Whenever we go to South Indian restaurants here, vada always finds a way to our table. But sometimes they disappoint us when its not hot and crunchy as we want, but neverthless we enjoy it the way they serve with their 2 delicious chutneys and sambar , I am drooling just thinking about it. Lately I have been on a deep frying mode. Even S who is not a fan of deep fried things loves this so I wanted to make this badly before that deep frying phase dies out. Lil A calls this Vada Crispy doughnut and he too loves it and even if he bites to a chilly he never complains about it.He usually dont eat even the mildest curry but if its something he likes he will drink water and makes ZZZZZZZZZZZZ sound and still eat it :) 

 I made these Vadas for a tea get together at my home and all Vadas disappered in a few minutes, my considerate friends were repeatedly asking me to save few for S before they finish it, so yea expect that 2 ones which I saved for S, all were gone and one of my friend who joined later didn't even know that we finished Vadas even before she came as there was no trails left :)


Ingredients ( makes 12 vadas)
Urad dal /uzhunnu parippu  - 1 1/2 cup
Shallots - finely chopped ( 1/2 cup)
Green chillies - 1-2
Ginger (finely chopped ) - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 2 sprigs(torn into pieces )
Peppercorns crushed - 1 tsp (optional )
Water - Few tbs
Salt
Oil for deep frying
Water in bowl ( for making the palm wet )

Method

  • Soak urad dal in water for 1-2 hours.
  • Grind them adding a very little water to a thick batter.

    • Add chopped shalots, green chillies, curry leaves, peppercorns  and salt.
    • Meanwhile heat oil in a kadai or saucepan on medium high heat and when the oil is hot ,wet your palm with little water and scoop a little batter with the other hand onto the wet palm  and make a hole in the middle of the batter with your finger and slowly slide it  into the hot oil and deep fry them until golden brown.
    • Serve it with coconut chutney, tomato chutney or sambar .

    15 comments:

    Hamaree Rasoi said...

    Medhu vada is my all time favourite snack. Yours preparation looks very tasty.
    Deepa

    Roshni said...

    hey even i posted Medhu vada yesterday

    Shibi Thomas said...

    Mmmmm uzhunnu vadas with Masala dosa...I am dreaming about it now...just had my lunch but you tempted me by these beauties. Its been a while I had made vadas...

    Priya Suresh said...

    Give me that plate sis, i'll happily have those cuties with that chutney,makes me drool even after having my dinner.

    Tina said...

    Looks crispy and tempting dear..

    Unknown said...

    are we taking turns of cooking up all the classics..;-) mmm.. now u taking me back to namma bengaluru where I have had some great vada/sambar...:-)

    They look perfect...:-)

    Rafeeda AR said...

    i agree to you... i am a vada fanatic... each time we go to a restaurant, my HD orders masala dosa, i will order vada, finish mine and put my hands into his plate... ;) this looks sooo good...

    meena said...

    medhu vada and chutney unbeatable combo,u have well done.

    saraniskitchen said...

    Vada with coconut chutney perfect combo dear...my fav too and u have made it perfect...

    Unknown said...

    nice capture dear.. simply love it..

    Rinku Naveen said...

    Love uzhunnu vada especially when it is hot and crisp. Just love you neat and perfect pictures

    Unknown said...

    my fav..looks crispy and perfect...

    KitchenKarma said...

    Oh I love medhu vada too and you are so right I get so disappointed when in restaurants they do not serve it perfectly hot and crisply like I like it :-) Your photos are now making me crave vadas with chutney and sambar :-)

    Beena said...

    Tempting vadas. First time your blog am following u . Glad if u will follow me back

    Reni said...

    looks perfect & absolutely tasty !
    I'm a new blogger,do stop by my page when u find time :)

    Reni
    http://reniscooking.blogspot.de/