When it comes to veggies cauliflower is something I like to experiment a lot with. I m surprised by the way my eating habits have changed as I used to hate it before and the only cauliflower thing I used to like was gobi manjurian. But now every week when I go for grocery shopping I pick cauliflower and think of every new way to prepare it. So when I came across this Achari gobi recipe in Playful cooking I knew what I was going to do with cauliflower next time. And I did make it, not just once but twice already. The first time when I made it, it was dark so we straight way digged in but second time I planned it ahead and made this a bit early before getting dark.
These days taking food pictures is not that easy especially when my lil one is a tad bit hungry he gets frustrated and keep on nagging so I pack my photo session right away, and when is not hungry he wants to help me in taking pictures, so either way its not easy !!
Recipe source - Playful cooking
Cauliflower - 1 small
Whole redchilly / vattal mulaku - 2
Fenugreek / Uluva - 1/2 tsp
Nigella / kalonji - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds / jeerakam / jeera - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds / kaduku - 1/2 tsp
Lime juice - 2 tbs
Cinnamon stick/ Patta - 1 inch stick
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Nigella seeds - 1/2 tsp
Onion - 1 medium(chopped )
Tomato -2 ( blanched and pureed )
Ginger garlic paste ( inji - veluthulli paste ) - 1 tbs
Kashmiri chilly powder( piriyan mulaku podi )- 1 tbsp
Yogurt / curd/ thayyir - 2 tbs
Sugar - 1 tsp
Coriander leaves/ malli ila
- In a pan dry roast( without oil ) the ingredients mentioned under roasting to a fine powder.
- Transfer the pickling powder into a bowl and add lime juice to it give it a mix and keep it aside.
- In a wok or a pan add some oil and add cauliflower florets and saute it for 10 minutes on a medium flame adding a pinch of salt until they turn light brown in colour.Transfer into a paper towel and keep it aside.
- In the same pan add some more oil and sputter mustard seeds, thrown in cumin, nigella and fry for a minute or so until they leave aroma .
- Add chopped onions and saute until soft and light brown in colour.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till raw smell goes off.
- Add tomato puree, roasted pickling powder, chilly powder, salt, sugar and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower florets kept aside to the sauce and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Finally add beaten yogurt and cook on a low flame stirring continously for 2-3 minutes.Check the salt and turn off the flame.
- Garnish with some finely chopped coriander leaves.