Yesterday morning when we woke up the weather outside looked so gloomy and grey, so with much disappointement we all slowed down our routine pace and was planning to spend the weekend in a shopping mall which is very unusual for us during this time of the year, but the unpredictable weather took a twist and all of sudden the sun came out. Within minutes we ditched our shopping plans and decided to explore a hills nearby instead. When we set off the journey least did I know that we were going to have our first hike ! We choose the medium hike covering in 2 hours and oh boy we are glad we did it. The satisfaction of doing something like that is really priceless.
|Thats the hill we hiked !|
|Look who is leading us :)|
|Waiting for our turn to cross the river|
Coming back to topic, todays post is a banana bread which I baked few days before and I can authoritatively say this is one of the best banana bread ever, well this verdict is not just from my family but also from my friends who came for a tea to my place and my blogger friend Manjiri who tasted this insisted that I should post the recipe the same day, I guess that says it all :)
Recipe adapted form here
Plain flour / Maida - 175 gm /1 1/4 cup
Baking powder - 2 tsp
Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Unsalted butter - 125 gm ( melted )
Sugar - 150 gm ( 3/4 cup )
Eggs - 2 large
Vanilla extract- 1 tsp
Very ripe bananas - 4 medium (mashed )
Raisins - 100 gm
Walnuts - 60 gm ( chopped )
Rum / Orange juice - 75 ml
- In a saucepan put the rasins and add 75 ml of rum and bring it to boil.Turn off the flame and leave it covered for 1 hour for raisins to absorb the rum.
- Drain and keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt. Give it a mix with a wooden spoon and combine the ingredients.
- Meanwhile melt butter in microwave or in a saucepan and keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl add melted butter and sugar and beat until combined.
- Best in one eggs at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Add mashed banana to it and fold in.
- Add chopped walnut, drained raisins, vanilla extract and fold in with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
- Add 1/3 rd of the flour mixture to it and fold in add remaining flour in 2 additions and repeat the same.
- Transfer the batter into a greased loaf tin and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degree celcius for 1 hour 10 minute to 1 hour 15 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in wire rack until cool.