Back home Parippu vada is a very popular tea time snack and people who love it go crazy for it, but I was never a parippu vada fan but once in while I too enjoy this with a cup of tea.
When I got hold of some banana leafs recently I went crazy making use of it, I made ela ada first, then I made fish pollichathu as well and still there was one more left and since it was stored in fridge it was going a bit yellow after few days, so just before chucking it into the bin I wanted to use it one more last time thats how I decided to make something and shoot it in banana leaf .Yes you read it right, I made this parippu vada just to take picture in banan leaf ! S who goes crazy for parippu thought that I made this especially for him without knowing my intention, anyway he was one happy boy that day and ate almost 3/4 th of the parippu vada :)
Ingredients (makes about 10 parippu vada )
Chana dal / Kadala parippu - 1 cup
Onion - small ( finely chopped )
Green chillies/ -1 -2 (I didnt use it )
Curry leaves/ kariveppila( torn into pieces ) - few
Fennel / Perum jeerakam - 1/2 tsp
Ginger - 1 tbs (finely chopped )
Asafoetida - pinch
Oil for deep frying
- Soak Chana dal in hot water for 3 hours.
- Drain the chana dal and make a coarse paste of it in a food processor or mixie.
- Transfer it into a bowl and add finely chopped onion, green chillies, curry leaves , fennel and asafoetida, salt and mix well.
- Make equal sized ball out of it and flaten the balls a little bit by pressing them in between the palms.
- Heat oil in a pan on a medium flame and deep fry the parippu vada until golden brown.