Eating cooked breakfast even 3 days a week was a luxury for us here, but these days since my parents are here we get to eat cooked breakfast 7 days a week, and we r totally enjoying all that luxury. Like everytime this time also my mum prepared everything possible for us to bring here which included all homemade spice powders, rice flour, Puttu flour etc etc.. And to make a good idiyappam/ nool puttu you need a good quality rice flour and what can be better than the rice flour my mum milled for me from rice mill with home grown rice. Oh yes it is a 5 star rice flour as it involves all the effort my mum takes in growing our own rice in paddy fields ,so do I need to say about the outcome ?? It was melt in mouth and super soft idiyappams, the best idiyappams ever.
Every year after our vacation we will be eating such nice stuffs for a while and when it finishes we switch to the readymade flours and I should say that transition is a nightmare, I can't even compare how the taste vary, but soon our taste buds adjust to the readymade flour and we start to enjoy that as well but still I got to say the nothing can beat that homemade taste :) So if you want to make a your own rice flour and have a good rice mill nearby go ahead and soak some rice, drain it and send it to the mill to make the finest powder and roast it well and a first quality flour is ready for u. I dont reccomend using mixie for making rice flour at home as they dont do a good job and the taste wont be good as the one milled in rice mill, but if you dont have other option go ahead and make it in mixie or buy readymade flour and make some idiyappam and enjoy !
Ingredients (serves 3)
Rice flour - 11/2 cups
Boiling water -2 1/4 cup or as required
Oil - 1 tbs
- Roast the rice flour for few minutes.
- Boil the water and add salt and oil.
- Add roasted rice flour to the boiling water and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Mix until you get a smooth dough like the picture below.
- Fill the idiyappam maker with smooth dough and rotate the handle and fill the idiyappam on to each holes of idly maker filled with a little grated coconut.
- Steam the idiyppams for 7-8 minutes.
- Enjoy with some egg curry (recipe will follow soon )