Couple of days back I ran into an old friend of mine at a bus stop, after few minutes of catching up, our topic moved onto Food. She was from Thailand , so the first thing I asked her was about good Thai eating places around. She replied that her close friend was a chef in one of the popular restaurant around and eventhough its popular she said its not the authentic kind of Thai and she wouldnt reccomend it !! I guess thats the story of all resturants outside the homeland :)
So my next question was about the famous thai red curry paste as I absoultely love Thai curries, especially Thai red curry. When I asked that I was expecting a recipe of Thai curry paste from her but her answer was quite surprising, she said she buy it from the Thai section of Asian grocery shop where I go. So thats was it, I knew I will be picking the paste and making the curry soon. So during this weeks trip I picked Thai curry paste, Palm sugar and fish sauce from the shop. I was apprehensive about how it would taste but I am super glad I cooked it as it was one of the tastiest and quickest chicken curry I have ever made. No sauting onions, no roasting or grinding , just fry the paste, add conout milk, chicken and some veggies and simmer, a delcious curry will be ready in well under 30 minutes !
Boneless chicken - 500gm
Thai red curry paste - 100 gm
Carrot - 1
Green pepper/ Capsicum - 1/2 ( I didnt use it )
Baby corn - 5-10
Palm sugar - 4 tsp
Fish sauce - 1 tsp
Coconut milk - 400 ml
Water - 1 cup
Sweet basil leaves - few (optional, I didnt use it )
Thai red chillies ( to garnish )
- In a saucepan add oil and fry the thai red curry paste for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken ( cut into cubes) and veggies ( cut lenghthwise ) and saute until its well coated in the curry paste for 1-2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, water and bring to boil.
- Add palm sugar, fish sauce and cook it covered until chicken and veggies are cooked.
- Finally add some sweet basil leaves and turn off the flame.
- Garnish with chopped redchillies and serve warm with steamed rice