Monday, January 27, 2014

Ras Malai ( with step by step pictures)


I have never been so busy in my life, lots of thing happening and I am working really hard after ages. Blogging should be the last thing I should be doing now, but sometimes for a break I find blogging and cooking therapeutic. I really wish I could spend more time on styling the picture and taking beautiful pictures but if I go for that doing a post might not happen for another few more weeks and I don’t want to ignore my blog that long. Let me get straight to the recipe before my hubby catches me doing a blog post when I have lots of pending work to finish.



Recipe adapted from - Show me the curry
Ingredients ( serves 6 )
For paneer
Milk – 6 cups
Lime juice – 3 tbsp.

For making Malai
Water – 5 cup
Sugar – cup
Paneer patties

For Ras
Milk – 5 cups
Sugar – 1 cup or as required
Cardamom crushed – ¼ tsp.
Saffron strand – few
Nuts- Almonds and Pistachios

Method
Making Paneer
  • Boil milk and add 3 tbsp. of lime juice.
  • Milk curdles and whey separates, strain it in colander lined with muslin cloth and rinse few times in cold water to remove lime flavour.
  • Squeeze it hard and hang the muslin cloth under the tap for 30 minutes to strain any water left.
  • Place a small weight on top of the muslin cloth to remove the water completely.

Making Paneer patties
  • In a food processor or mixie blitz the Paneer for few seconds and knead until it’s soft or alternatively knead them well for 5- 10 minutes until soft.                              
  • Divide the dough into 15- 20 equal sized balls and press them gently and make patties.                                                                                                                  
  • Meanwhile add 5 cups of water and 1 cup of sugar in a pressure cooker. Place it on a medium flame until sugar I dissolved. Now carefully add the patties to the sugar water and close the lid and pressure cook it for 1 whistle and remove from fire.                                                                                                                         

  • After 5 minutes take the pressure to kitchen sink and pour cold water to it so release the pressure, once the pressure is released open the cooker and take out the patties one by one with a ladle or spoon and gently give it squeeze to remove the excess water.                                                                                                       
             

  • Let it cool down.

Making Ras
  •  Boil milk with saffron strands in a thick bottomed vessel or a non-stick vessel and simmer it for 30- 45  minutes stirring every now and then until milk reduces to half.   
  •  Add crushed cardamom and in the end and remove from fire once sugar is dissolved. Let it cool down a little bit.                                                                   
Chilling and serving
  • Add the patties to Ras (Reduced milk) and chill it the fridge for 3-4 hours.
  • Add Pistachios and Almond shavings on top before serving. 

Notes
When I made paneer I added a bit too much lime juice than 3 tbs so my paneer had a subtle ime flavour, but neverthless it was delicious. So please stick to 3 tbs. if you dont want a paneer with lime flavour :)



13 comments:

Rafeeda AR said...

haha... i like that statement "before my husband catches me doing a blog post" hehe... the rasmalai looks so yum... i am planning to make paneer tonight, so that i could make some curry for my brother, but now seeing this, i'm having other plans... hehe... ;)

FLAVZCORNER said...

Ras Malai is my all time favorite dessert. I can eat it anytime and lots of them. Seriously Vinee... you are making paneer from scratch when you have no time??? Hope your studies is going well and the little one is adjusting with the change.

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Awesome and delicious looking ras malai. Amazing pics as well.
Deepa

Swathi said...

Rasa malai looks delicious. Love it.

great-secret-of-life said...

looks so tasty..

indianspicemagic said...

Yummy and tasty. my favourite

divya said...

It looks absolutely fabulous!

divya said...

It looks absolutely fabulous!

Anupa Joseph (Palaharam) said...

Sammathichirikunnu... u must be planning it all so well...how do u do it?

All said...it looks awesome... My favorite and its been long since I had them

PrathibhaSreejith said...

Ras Malai looks delicious Vini :)
You are doing an awesome job dear, I agree balancing everything is not easy at all. I'm trying hard to keep my blog alive but these days I hardly do a post a month :(
And Congrats on the blog anniversary Best Wishes for many more to come :)

abhilash said...

Wow..Man-O-man..really looks delicious..thanks for giving ur precious time and recepieee..i will also try it... ;)

abhilash said...

Wow..Man-O-man..really looks delicious..thanks for giving ur precious time and recepieee..i will also try it... ;)

Niharika said...

Rasmalai looks delicious! love those cute bowls..
Swadesh Food Recipes
Indian Sarees Online Shopping