Monday, February 10, 2014

Chemmen ullarthu / chemmen roast/ Kerala prawns roast


After a 2 weeks silence, I am back again with a simple post. During our last trip to India my sis in law made this yummy prawn’s ullarthu for us and ever since I was dying to make this at home. Getting hold of fresh/ raw prawns is an expensive affair here, so we always buy the prepared prawns (cooked and peeled) which doesn’t have any flavour like the ones  we get back home. Couple of weeks backs we found a good deal for raw prawns in an Asian market , so I picked one packet with this ullarthu in mind. Despite of having a hectic day I cooked the prawns same day as I didn’t want to freeze it and miss out that fresh flavour. The prawn’s tastes yumm after a long time, but it  still it missed the flavour I grew up eating, but nonetheless we all enjoyed it as it was a delicious preparation. 



Ingredients
Prawns – 500 gm (cleaned)
Shallots/ cheriya ulli (thinly sliced) 3/4 cup  or 2 medium onion  thinly sliced
Ginger (minced) – 2 tsp.
Garlic (minced) – 2 tsp.
Curry leaves – few sprigs
Red chilli powder – 2 tbs
Turmeric powder – 2 tsp
Salt
Coconut oil
Crushed red chilli flakes - 1 tsp

Method
  • Marinate the prawns with red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt for 30 minutes .
  • In a non stick pan  add coconut oil and fry the red chill flakes for few seconds,  add in the  sliced shallots and saute until soft.
  • Add minced ginger – garlic, curry leaves and fry for a minute or so.
  • Add marinated  prawns stir until prawns are coated in masala.
  • Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until prawns are cooked.
  • Remove the lid and cook for 2-3 minutes on high flame until prawns are well coated in the masala.

11 comments:

Suja Manoj said...

KOthiyavunnu,super yum

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Prawn stir fry looks so delicious and inviting. Mouthwatering pics.
Deepa

Rafeeda AR said...

i cannot eat prawns, thanks to allergy problems, however my HD is a big prawn eater! i'm going to make this ularthu some time for him, for sure, cleaning them with double gloves of course!!! :)

Princy Vinoth said...

I love prawns and this is a terrific recipe.Pictures look so so good.

Resna said...

It looks so good.I was searching for prawn recipes it just perfect one.

Unknown said...

Adipozhi aitundu ...very tempting dear :)Very happy to follow you dear..Will be happy if u follow me back

FLAVZCORNER said...

I buy the easy peel uncooked shrimp which is some what close to what we get back in India, but I still love the taste of the shrimps back in kerala. You recipe looks simple and easy enough. Hope your studies are going well.

Anupa Joseph (Palaharam) said...

Yummy clicks...Recently many have been talking of prawns in different forms and now its you...I think it high time I make something out of prawns...it looks awesome...vaayil kappal oddunnu

nandoos kitchen said...

Love prawns and this looks yumm.. Kothiyavunnu. First time here. Nice space. Happy to follow you. Do visit mine if you find time.

Unknown said...

Hm yummy... Mouthwatering

Corporate to Kitchen said...

Yummy looking prawns. I can't tell you how much I miss fresh prawns here in Austin:( . First time at your site & got to know ur blog thru Raf.