A New year again..fresh chapter, new hopes, new resolutions.. Let’s hope this year is going to be a great one for all of us. Wishing you all a very Happy New Year once again.
“A curry with chillies! OMG ” Is that what you are thinking ? That's what I thought when I saw this curry in other blogs. Our spice tolerance level is really low now, so there was no way I was going to try this until I tasted this from S’s place. She served Hydrebadi biriyani with this salan and it was a great combination indeed so it didn’t take long before I tried it myself. I made it several times with biriyani but when we smell biriyani we are always hungry and never wait to take any pictures before we eat. Wondering how I manged this time? This time I made the curry first so I had some time while biriyani was on Dum J
I still don’t dare to use green chillies for this salan instead always use milder versions of chillies but if you think you can handle hotter green chillies go ahead and use it !
Recipe source - Vahrehvah
Onion – 1
Cinnamon stick – 1 inch stick
Cloves – 2
Cardamom – 3
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Whole red chillies - 1
Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
Fenugreek seeds – ¼ tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbs
Tamarind paste – 1/4 tsp
Yogurt – ½ cup
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Sugar – 1 tsp
Green chillies/ milder green chillies – 100 gm
Coriander leaves – finely chopped
Mint leaves- finely chopped
Sesame seeds – 1 tbs
Peanut – 1 tbs
Grated coconut/dessicated coconut – 1 tbs
- In a small pan add oil and add peanuts roast for few minutes.
- Add sesame seeds until slightly golden
- Finally add coconut powder and roast for a minute or so. Let it cool down and then grind it to a smooth paste adding little water.
- Slit the chillies , remove seeds if you want and shallow fry it in little oil and keep it aside.
- In another pan add oil and add mustard seeds when in sputters add whole garam masala, cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds until it releases a nice aroma.
- Add chopped onions and saute until it is brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and curry leaves saute for a minute or so.
- Add chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and hing.
- Pour the ground paste, tamarind paste, some water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add beaten yogurt and cook for another 25 minutes or until the oil separates.
- Finally add the slit chillies, chopped coriander, mint and sugar and cook for another 5 minutes.